Limited agility, vision and mobility can have a significant impact on how much an older adult enjoys and uses their yard. However, there are a lot of things you can do to make an outdoor living space more hospitable to senior individuals. One of these is creating a low-maintenance landscape that’s appealing and safe for seniors using synthetic grass in Houston, TX.
Synthetic Grass Landscaping for Safety and Comfort
Safety and comfort are two of the most important considerations when landscaping for older individuals. Using synthetic grass means you’re already ahead of the game. It is soft underfoot, cushions trips and falls, non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Safety-focused landscaping ideas include:
- Provide shade. It’s important for seniors to have shade in the garden, especially during hot months. In addition, this protects them from sunburn and heat stroke. Incorporate this during the design stage of artificial turf installation in Houston, TX to make sure it blends well into the landscape.
- Include seating. Add several stable and comfortable seating options in the garden where they can rest easily. For cozier seats, upholster chairs and benches with artificial grass.
- Raise the garden beds. Accommodate the physical restrictions of older adults by arranging raised plant beds and pots around your synthetic green.
Make It Easy to Move Through the Space
- Seniors need plenty of flat surfaces that make it easy to move around. A synthetic landscape is the better choice because installers will level the ground and any trip hazard prior to installing turf.
- Soften walkways with artificial grass borders to make them easier to navigate.
- Create zones in your synthetic landscape for different activities. For instance, you can dedicate one part to a zen garden, and another for a putting green, social area or reading nook. This makes the backyard a more interesting place to spend time in.
Choose Low-Maintenance Plants
- Citrus trees
All of these beautiful plants are disease resistant and don’t need a lot of maintenance. Better yet, some like citrus trees allow seniors to pick fruits and spend the day outside.
More Ideas for a Senior-Friendly Backyard
- Kitchen garden. Some seniors prefer growing produce instead of ornamental plants, so consider adding a “kitchen” garden to your backyard.
Unlike real grass, you don’t have to pick one plant type over the other on synthetic turf. Simply use planters, raised beds and pots to contain your vegetable plants and herbs.
- Zen spots. Include quiet areas in the yard where older adults do puzzles, read a book or simply spend time outside. Got an unused side yard? Cover it with artificial grass, add walkways and seating, and turn it into a beautiful secret garden.
- Putting greens. A lot of older adults remain athletic well into their golden years, and golf is one of the most popular games regardless of age. A backyard putting green made of synthetic grass in Houston, TX is an excellent way to encourage seniors to remain active and socialize with other people.
Synthetic Grass: Creating Better Outdoor Spaces for Everybody
At Houston Artificial Grass Pros, we’ll be happy to help you create a landscape that accommodates the special needs of you and your loved ones. Call us today at 866-309-8873 to discuss artificial grass installation in Houston and receive a free estimate.